Thursday, January 24, 2013

Kids and Veggies

I know i'm not alone in this so I'm calling out for help!  Mia has entered quite the picky phase of eating.  When she first started on foods I pureed all kinds of different veggies for her to try and she liked everything for the most part.  Wasn't a fan of asparagus, but who is.  She did pretty good with veggies as I started to let her eat more chunkier foods but now she wants nothing to do with it.  She has been very sick lately so I know that doesn't help - it seems she only wants cereal and fruit at every meal.

Of course you worry that they are getting the nutrients they need, especially when they are sick.  I still give her formula for older kids twice a day so I know that kind of makes up the difference.  I have found now that i'm hiding the veggies.  I made a batch of puree with veggies and meat and made her a pancake with it in there and added mushed fruit to hide the veggie taste.  I thought there was no way she was going to eat this - she at the whole thing!  I hide the puree in her homemade mac and cheese as well and she hasn't caught me yet.

She loves puree sweet potato but when i just mash it for her she gags.  I have texture issues and I think she may have inherited that.  I guess I just have to roll with it, keep trying to hide it and at least I know she's getting what she needs even if it's in the form of a pancake.  Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a cookbook with recipes of fun foods with hidden veggies for her kids....time to go pick it up!  

If you have any tips I would love the help!

No comments:

Post a Comment