Monday, October 4, 2010

The Good Wife

What does it really mean to be a good wife.  It means different things to different people.  I'm trying to find that happy balance.  I am realizing that the single life is also the selfish life.  And I don't mean that in a bad way but when you are single it's only yourself you have to worry about or take care of.  You can do what you want, go where you want, spend your money on what you want and there is no one to discuss it with.  I catch the single selfish Jen creeping in every once and awhile.  I think it comes with the territory of getting married a little bit older as well.  You get quite used to your routine so it becomes quite interesting incorporating another person into things. 

So as I am trying to leave the single selfish Jen behind I am on the path of trying to discover what it is to be a good wife.  Proverbs 31 is always a good reference point so i'm working my way through it, so let's break it down for a few verses.

10 [a] A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

As a wife it's nice to think we are worth far more than rubies.  She brings him good not harm all the days of her life.  I take this "harm" as not physical harm but emotional harm, the words we exchange.  She works with eager hands and gets up while it's still dark to provide food for her family.  Really?  No sleeping in ever?  No - "let's go out for breakfast today".  I'm up early weekdays for work which in a sense is providing food for my family but everyday?  I need a little sleeping in on Saturday's, my husband can pour his cereal.  So if we are taking this passage literally I think I have alot of work ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment