Monday, September 13, 2010

Eat Pray Love...and eat some more

So I finally saw the movie "Eat Pray Love" on the weekend.  I read the book this summer and really enjoyed it so that made me a bit skeptical about the movie.  Alot of times a good book doesn't transfer into the movie we had created in our minds or they leave out parts of the book that you think should have made the movie.  The movie was 2 1/2 hours and I think they managed to get do a good translation of the book. 

I loved the visuals from her time in Italy after just being there myself this year.  I related to her enjoyment of the pasta and the gelato - I think I ate gelato twice a day while we were there.  Because I often got strawberry and banana I convinced myself it wasn't bad for me. 

Seeing the movie reminded me about a part in the book that stood out to me.  Liz, played by Julia Roberts, is speaking with her friend Luca Spaghetti - yes that was his real name.  He was saying that Americans (I will clump Canadians into that category for this example) don't know how to enjoy life.  We overwork ourselves all week only to be exhausted by the time the weekend arrives and we just want to lay around in sweat pants and watch TV.  I wondered if this guy had a camera in my house! 

Italians live "la dolce vita" meaning the sweet life or the good life.  They enjoy every minute.  After visiting Italy I really did notice that.  I kept wondering if anyone had jobs because the cafe's and restaurants were always full in the middle of the day.  His view of North Americans was we work so hard to enjoy life but then don't really enjoy it which I think is pretty true.  How many weekends have I wasted catching up on episodes of The Real Housewives (don't judge me) instead of getting out there and enjoying life?  But to be fair occassionally a day in sweat pants, Ben & Jerry's and a few good movies do count as enjoying life for me! 

Living "la dolce vita" just means different things to different people.   

No comments:

Post a Comment