Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Patience in Pancakes

I have been married 10 months now and I'm still learning and doing my best at being the domesticated wife - women libbers better stop reading now.  I enjoy coming home and cooking dinner, taking care of my husband.  I'm a pretty good cook but there is one thing i have not conquered- pancakes.  I never cook them right, I can't get them round, it stresses me out so I avoid them.  My husband had been wanting pancakes and I just couldn't avoid it anymore so I had to try again.  The batter was ready, the pan was heated so I went for it.  I "thought" it was time to flip and here I go again - totally ruined.  Undercooked broken disaster!  I tried to keep my cool and went for another one and it all became clear.  I had NO patience for this process and that's why I was ruining them.  I was using too much batter and flipped too quickly.  As with most things in my life when I want results I want them now as fast as possible and I do too much at once, and it reflected in my cooking.  So I took a deep breath, poured another pancake, less batter this time and just sat back and waited.  When the bubbles had survaced it was time to flip and ta-da a perfect pancake - and a few more after that.  I finally conquered the pancakes and had a little life lesson as well.

1 comment:

  1. When can we expect to hear you speaking on Sunday mornings?

    ReplyDelete